Monday, March 5, 2012

Lenten Season and Babies Growing Up

(I typed this blog Sunday February 26th. It was published over a week later.)

The wine I'm sipping on between typing is the last I will have (at least during the week) for 40 days. The migas I had for breakfast won't happen for over a month. Neither will any form of eggs, or any other animal products for that matter. Tomorrow, I start my Russian Orthodox Lenten Season. I look forward to the journey, and am excited about having something reminding me about my spiritual being all day long (if I truly do think of our savior's struggle every time I struggle with the lenten rules - then trust me, this will be all day long, every day). I love my protein - and even more than meat I am a HUGE eggs and dairy type of girl. This should be interesting.

Tomorrow is Monday (Clean Monday) as per the Russian Orthodox Church and for the FIRST time in my life I will participate wholeheartedly in Lent (ending April 13th the Friday before Palm Sunday). My grandma always did, and her memory has been tugging at my heart lately (truly, always - as she is the most impactful figure in my life and my babygirl is her namesake). I think this will be quite the spiritual journey, and I'm excited! (not giving up something I personally choose as is Western tradition but, instead, following the traditional restrictions of no meat or meat products, dairy, wine, oils - (wine and oils ok on weekends). Shellfish ok and nuts as well for protein. WISH ME LUCK!

After Derek took Iggy to bed and Analee was a good girl and laid down in her own crib, I cleaned up all the toys and kitchen, packed the 10 bags (actually, 7) that we need for the workday and packed food for tomorrow. When you're not eating junk or meat - you have to eat ALOT of food. Not sure how many fruits and veggies will fit into my lunch box. I may have to just stock up the fridge in our office.

As the lenten season starts, I'll make sure to check in and let you know exactly how I'm doing, how I'm feeling and most importantly, what I'm learning about myself.

Also this "season" are alot of business decisions and endeavors with our business, as well as lots of new adventures with kids (kicking potty training back up a notch with Iggy and starting Analee on some solids!) so this time in our lives should be interesting, powerful, and exciting to say the least.

Another aspect of my life this fast will help me with is slowing down and taking in every minute of every day. Reflecting on the day at the end of it, and waking up with nothing less than excitement for life and all that it has to offer.

Just in the last few weeks there have been so many moments that are simple and pure - but absolutely took my breath away. Teaching Iggy how to twist the apple stem to take it off and watching his face light up with delight as he yells "Iggy did it!". Watching him, from the corner of my eye as I was in the kitchen, open up his VTech toddler laptop and "talk to Babu on Skype". Realizing that everything we say and do is being watched by curious eyes and heard by impressionable ears (we talked about watching Moneyball before putting the movie in the other night, now Iggy refers to baseball when sees it on TV or in his toy bin as "Moneyball"). And then there's babygirl. She is still such a tiny little baby, but yet she smiles from ear to ear when I enter the room. She turns for me when she hears my voice. She rolls over and over and over completely off her play mat in a matter of minutes and even giggles at herself as she completes the turn. She holds my fingers and she longingly looks into her big brother's eyes as he pats her head, holds her face and leans in for a kiss, or just points to her nose, ears, eyes, etc.

I'm not at a shortage of beautiful moments like this, because I have two precious miracles. But what I think this fast will teach me, is that those moments are all around - not just dealing with my babies, not just on the weekends and evenings, and not just visible to the naked eye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment